Thomas J. Watson Fellowship
Become a Watson
The Watson is a rare window of time after college and pre-career to engage your deepest interest on a global scale. Fellows conceive original projects, execute them outside of the United States for one year and embrace the ensuing journey. They decide where to go, who to meet and when to change course. They do not affiliate with academic institutions and may not hold formal employment.
The program produces a year of personal insight, perspective and confidence that shapes the arc of fellows' lives. Started in 1968, Watson Fellows comprise leaders in every field. The one year stipend is $30,000. In addition, the foundation provides (through reimbursement) health insurance and the equivalent of 12-months of payments on outstanding institutional and federally guaranteed (Perkins, Stafford) loans. Only partner colleges may nominate students.
Am I Eligible?
You are eligible to apply for the Watson if you are a graduating senior nominated by one of 40 partner colleges. All majors and fields of inquiry are eligible. Please contact your campus advisor for details. We do not accept at-large applications.
Qualities sought in the selection of fellows include:
- Emotional Maturity
- Attend the pre-departure webinar (spring)
- Depart by August 1 of the award year
- Remain outside of the United States for 1 year
- Remain outside countries that are on State Department Warning, Treasury Embargo or designated CDC Level 3.
- Submit quarterly reports and an end of year expense report
- Attend the returning fellows' conference (August)
- Ensure eligibility
- Meet with your campus advisor
- Complete the application including:
- Your Personal Statement - What has convinced you to apply for the Watson? What do you hope to benefit from the year?
- Your Project Statement - Your project must sustain your interest amidst the highs and lows of a year in unfamiliar places. What is your plan for the 12-month period? What opportunities and challenges are unique to your project?
- 2 Recommendations
- Complete the campus selection process
If nominated by your college you will enter the national selection process and be interviewed on campus by a foundation representative. Please ask your campus advisor about internal deadlines. The national selection process begins in November. Awards are announced in mid-March.